Cooperina's Spot

October 06, 2006

Good Recipe to Share

I am so very excited that Friday is here. It is going to be a busy day today w/ 4 presentations (2 hour ones too -- can you believe they let me talk that long?) scheduled for next week and quite a few project deadlines as well. But also means that it is almost weekend time and I can hopefully get us completely (or pretty close) to be unpacked and settled into home. I also promise to get pictures taken this weekend, I know a few of you are fairly curious. I am also hoping to get in some outside/yard time as well...take advantage of nice weather and a big yard while I can. It is Nebraska afterall and snow is, unfortunately, probably just around the corner.

I tried out a new recipe from my boss's wife last night (yes, me! With the shorter commute, I now can make it home sometimes before Ryan) and it turned out really great and very easy to make. Definitely becoming a part of the Desch Recipe Book. It is a Cinncinati Chili recipe, not really a stand alone chili but more to be served on top of spaghetti (how we ate it last night), rice, hot dogs (what we're doing tonight), fritos, etc. In case any of you might also be interested in trying, I will share below.

Cinncinnati Chili

Ingredients:

2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 tsp allspice
1 bay leaf
1 tsp cinnamon
4 cups of water
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp cumin
4 drops hot sauce

Directions:

Important -- do not brown meat before adding to water.

1) combine all the above ingredients in a large pot.

2) cook covered over low/medium heat up to 4 hours, depending on desired consistency. Less time for runnier chili, longer for drier chili topping (we have a gas stove now, so cooks a little hotter and took about an hour & a half).

3) serve over spaghetti (or other preferred options). Top w/ raw onion, grated cheese, sour cream, kidney beans, and/or oyster crackers. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

  • hey! i was going to remind you, if you wanted, to plant some fall flowers.. the kind that come back every year. now's the time to do it. for instance, daffadil or lily bulbs. also mums (which you know i have quite a fondness for). and if you do that, if it's a time when i can, maybe i could join you. planting is one of my all-time favorite things to do. :)

    btw - thanks for your email yesterday. it brightened up my day quite a bit!

    By Blogger sarah beth, At 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home