My Wings are Too Big!
Last night, I got to spend some good quality time with my friend Becky (as of today, she is in double-digits on the countdown to her wedding -- I am so excited for her and her lucky groom) plus do a little work on my quilt. I have definitely got to figure out a way to work on it more often than a couple of hours every other week or my joking comments about this being my "lifetime achievement" is going to be so very unfortunately true. And it didn't help that last night I discovered that when I decided to change my blocks to 6" from 12", I forgot to also reduce the size of my lady bug template pieces (see, this is why i have the Idiot's Guide to Quilting). So I spent the entire evening re-doing my template pieces and all of the fabric pieces that I had already cut out and measured (mostly wings). But that is all resolved now, and I did, at least, get to enjoy a new movie (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants -- really cool girls movie!) and a friend in the process.
I was also thinking last night (while trying mostly unsuccessfully to fall asleep -- it was kind of a crazy, fairly sleepless night for the Desch household) about being fully understood or more accurately not being truly understood. Not like in an argument or an issue, but more so in who you are (i.e. what makes you tick, do the things you do, drive your passion/energy, etc.). And I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like there is something in each one of us which desperately wants to be understood by someone and/or more likely by multiple someones (particularly those who you feel are closest to you). We don't want to be thought of as foolish or "off our rocker", which can often be the case when another person doesn't understand why you do (or say) some of the things you do.
My one conclusion (not that this is the complete answer to my questions) is that God made each of us so unique, that it is going to be difficult for others to fully understand and appreciate our motivations, desires, and thus subsequential actions (often because we put ourselves in the other person's shoes..."I wouldn't do that", "If I were him/her, I would have handled that differently/better", "why can't he/she see things correctly, like how I see them", etc.). And after all, our God is a unique being and not always fully understood, even by us who seek His presence daily and enjoy an awesome relationship with Him.
Plus, how easy would it be to always be doing just the things that others liked and thought you should be doing...that wouldn't be from your heart at all, instead from your head. And that is not living at all, and before your physical body died, I think quite possibly you would be dead inside long before if you continued your life in that way. But these are only my thoughts, I am still only a 20-something (just barely!) and thankfully and joyfully still have much to learn.
I hope my possibly babbling has made some sense this morning -- but remember it is well before 7am and I am going on only a few hours sleep here. When I am a little more coherent, maybe I will make sure to add a clarifying post if needed.
Somewhat on the same subject, has anybody heard a new song from Natalie Grant called What are You Waiting For? It is actually probably not that new, but I am usually a bit behind on stuff like that. It talks about changing the world, and definitely has been speaking to my heart lately...for those of you who have maybe never heard it before, I will share some of the lyrics and see what you think. I am definitely going to have to purchase and have on my computer to listen to.
What are You Waiting For by Natalie Grant
Sometimes I get that overwhelming feeling
So sad those faces on TV
If I tried to make a difference would it help anyway
But then I stop and to myself I say
Chorus:So you wanna change the world
What are you waiting for
You say you’re gonna start right now
What are you waiting for
It only takes one voice
So come on now and shout it out
Give a little more
What are you waiting for
Sometimes I feel a little helpless
Seems like I can’t do a thing
But anything is possible just you wait and see
Good things happen if you just believe...
I was also thinking last night (while trying mostly unsuccessfully to fall asleep -- it was kind of a crazy, fairly sleepless night for the Desch household) about being fully understood or more accurately not being truly understood. Not like in an argument or an issue, but more so in who you are (i.e. what makes you tick, do the things you do, drive your passion/energy, etc.). And I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like there is something in each one of us which desperately wants to be understood by someone and/or more likely by multiple someones (particularly those who you feel are closest to you). We don't want to be thought of as foolish or "off our rocker", which can often be the case when another person doesn't understand why you do (or say) some of the things you do.
My one conclusion (not that this is the complete answer to my questions) is that God made each of us so unique, that it is going to be difficult for others to fully understand and appreciate our motivations, desires, and thus subsequential actions (often because we put ourselves in the other person's shoes..."I wouldn't do that", "If I were him/her, I would have handled that differently/better", "why can't he/she see things correctly, like how I see them", etc.). And after all, our God is a unique being and not always fully understood, even by us who seek His presence daily and enjoy an awesome relationship with Him.
Plus, how easy would it be to always be doing just the things that others liked and thought you should be doing...that wouldn't be from your heart at all, instead from your head. And that is not living at all, and before your physical body died, I think quite possibly you would be dead inside long before if you continued your life in that way. But these are only my thoughts, I am still only a 20-something (just barely!) and thankfully and joyfully still have much to learn.
I hope my possibly babbling has made some sense this morning -- but remember it is well before 7am and I am going on only a few hours sleep here. When I am a little more coherent, maybe I will make sure to add a clarifying post if needed.
Somewhat on the same subject, has anybody heard a new song from Natalie Grant called What are You Waiting For? It is actually probably not that new, but I am usually a bit behind on stuff like that. It talks about changing the world, and definitely has been speaking to my heart lately...for those of you who have maybe never heard it before, I will share some of the lyrics and see what you think. I am definitely going to have to purchase and have on my computer to listen to.
What are You Waiting For by Natalie Grant
Sometimes I get that overwhelming feeling
So sad those faces on TV
If I tried to make a difference would it help anyway
But then I stop and to myself I say
Chorus:So you wanna change the world
What are you waiting for
You say you’re gonna start right now
What are you waiting for
It only takes one voice
So come on now and shout it out
Give a little more
What are you waiting for
Sometimes I feel a little helpless
Seems like I can’t do a thing
But anything is possible just you wait and see
Good things happen if you just believe...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home